The views expressed in this blog are mine, all mine and don't necessarily reflect those of the Police Service!
I hope that you wont be offended by anything I say, because no offence was intended.

Sunday 6 April 2008

Naughty, naughty


Call the National Guard, someone's parked in a disabled parking space.
Don't get me wrong. I think that the Police should set an example to others and not break laws willy nilly.
However, have you visited a supermarket recently? I think we must have a nation of cripples, considering the number of disabled parking bays we have nowadays. Whilst I do think that any wheelchair bound person, should be able to have a wide space close to the front doors, I do wonder how many of the blue badge holders fall into that category? I suspect a lot of them are claiming the disability allowance, for some rare skeletal disease. They're bone idle!
The numbers of people claiming disability allowance have risen dramatically over the last few years. You can't tell me, that all these people are genuinely disabled. I suspect a large number are lazy, workshy layabouts, who only need to park closer to the front door of the shops, because it's quicker to the scratchcard counter!
So whilst the Police Van probably shouldn't have parked in the disabled space, is there really a need for so many of them?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you're getting your benefits confused (rather easy to do, due to the complexity of the system).

You are passported for a blue badge if you get the Higher Rate of the Mobility component of DLA. This has not increased exponentially in the same way as certain other benefits (the 'sickness' ones), as to get it you have to be unable/virtually unable to walk.

The prime reason for an increase in blue badge holders is the discretionary scheme, whereby GPs can sign to say someone needs one. This was meant to cover people over retirement age, who can't get DLA. This can be seen in this graph here: http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/statistics/datatablespublications/public/parkingbadges/parkingbadgesfordisabledpeop1823

I think it's telling that only 1/3rd of blue badge holders fall into the automatic category.

Annette said...

Love the 'bone idle' bit. LOL.
my husband is registered disabled, he is 72, and he has had a hip replacement and full of arthritus, and he gets really annoyed if someone parks in the disabled bay and then look as if they are not.
The problem is is that they could be, how do you know without asking them?
And you can't do that can you?

Anonymous said...

Funny how a lot of cars parked in disabled bays are 4x4s and sporty ones that you can only crawl out of! Bring back the wee blue 3 wheelers!

Anonymous said...

A whole stretch outside my supermarket is for mothers and babies only, maybe because my borough is in the top ten for unmarried mothers under 20 yrs.

girlieresponse said...

My friend said he'd challenged a fella who looked able in a disabled spot. Asked what his disability was.
His reply was "Tourettes, now F*** off.............."
Ok, it might have been a joke, but it made me smile...........

Anonymous said...

Interestingly, in these PC days, neither the BBC nor the GMP have even considered the possibility that the driver of the van might be disabled...

Anonymous said...

I work fulltime (all ways have!)and have great employers who make that happen, I have struggled for months, wondering if i should apply for DLA, (because I work) I final did and was awarded *** rate mobility and care . Some days I can walk fine (because I am full of painkillers) and other days I can walk not so fine (still full of painkillers. My friend has a blue badge and she is only 35 she does not have any form of disability that you can see. but she does have a disibility and needs her blue badge. so next time you see one of us, Dont jump to the wrong answer, my friend also works with me when she can for free.