The views expressed in this blog are mine, all mine and don't necessarily reflect those of the Police Service!
I hope that you wont be offended by anything I say, because no offence was intended.

Wednesday 9 April 2008

Drunks

Is it just me, or do people get more drunk on 'nights out', than they used to? I appreciate, I'm no spring chicken anymore, but in my youth, I liked a drink as much as the next person. I liked the social side of 'going out' and enjoyed my beer. As a consequence, every now and then, I would get quite drunk. Nowadays, people seem to go out, with the soul intention of getting drunk, as quickly as possible. As a consequence, they often come to our attention.
The trouble is, what do you do with a vomit/urine soaked teenager, dead to the world. As sure as eggs is eggs, a custody sergeant wont want them in his/her cells. A&E, don't want them clogging up their beds and you try finding a sensible family member to look after them, late at night.
I remember this article in 2004. Did it ever get off the ground? I've heard no more about it. I know the Scandanavians have used Drunk Tanks, for a number of years. They are staffed by a mixture of medical staff and civilian detention officers. All intoxicated people, including those arrested for criminal offences, are initially taken to the drunk tank. If they were just taken there for their own safety, they are released when sober. If they are there for a criminal matter, they are transferred to Police Custody, when sober. A brilliant idea, no doubt thought up by a lowly street cop!
So come on you politicians, why not implement these in every large town and city. It would free up NHS staff and Police, to do their proper jobs and not baby sitting duties. And you never know, it might even put one or two people off getting sh*tfaced, next time!

8 comments:

TotallyUn-Pc said...

Hello Maximus - I used to work at a nick in east london that had a drunk tank - it was ace. Unfortunately, the whole health and safety nazi's closed it down for a variety of infractions. I'd be well surprised to see somepne getting one up and running again... apparently its a breach of human rights to lock someone up with another person who has pissed and puked all over the public highway too.....!

girlieresponse said...

Nice idea, but our area uses the pubs and clubs as drunk tanks. They simply don't have the money/resources to do otherwise.
I suspect the detections gleaned from the numerous section 5 po offences will also ensure this sensible idea never happens!

blueknight said...

The drunk tank idea has been around since the early 1980s not that anything came of it.
Interestingly, incidents of drunkeness seem to drop when the craze for ecstacy and raves took off in the mid to late 1980s, but I don't think that was the reason why the drunk tanks did not happen

PC Plastic Fuzz said...

Nice idea bit I cannot see how you can simply be detained because you are drunk, or are they nicked for D&D or D&I then taken there…

Anonymous said...

Good read! Bet you get a few more hits now Gadge has linked you on his bar! Good luck

Anonymous said...

P.S. The Senators were good but a touch of rose-tinted-ness I feel. The V70 T5's knocked them into a cocked hat, I think. Faster, quicker, better-handling, bigger-booted and safer. Mind - saying "a 24-Valve Senator" does have a ring to it doesn't it?

girlieresponse said...

The government will never sanction it. They are spending alot of dosh trying to stop the drunk culture, so to have this facility again is admitting failure.
Please excuse any typo's been out binge drinking early doors.............................. he he

Anonymous said...

Ban alcohol and make E legal. No more fighting on a Friday and Saturday night it will be one long kiss amd hug fest with all the scum bag chavs. Still, give 'em a good kicking, they deserve it anyway. Lovely!