The views expressed in this blog are mine, all mine and don't necessarily reflect those of the Police Service!
I hope that you wont be offended by anything I say, because no offence was intended.

Thursday 3 July 2008

Supervision

HMIC have announced that Sergeants are not doing their job properly! Too much time is being spent on auditing and checking and not enough time supervising.

Well hello, this is not exactly a startling discovery. Lets face it, Pc's are spending far too much time doing paperwork, so in the bureaucratic Police Service, it's inevitable that the Ps's are going to have to 'check' all that paperwork.
My poor skipper, has to not only check all files that are complete, but also has to regularly check my ongoing investigations and add 'helpful' comments in the log, to prove that he has done so.

Now, in every walk of life, you get good and bad. A good skipper, will do the minimum of paperwork and get out on the street and supervise his/her troops. A bad skipper, will be tied to their desk and never see the light of day. Unfortunately, we seem to be promoting a lot more of the latter.

In my humble opinion, the Sergeants job, is probably the hardest in the whole service. They get sh1t from both ends and nowadays, have very little authority. I am aware of Sgt's trying to discipline Pc's, but getting no backing from those higher up the chain of command.

The fact of the matter is that there is no discipline anymore. When I joined in the 80's, there was two Sgt's and an Inspector on every shift. Nowadays, there is just one sergeant, (who is normally just acting up) and one inspector to cover the whole division. In reality, it means Pc's get no supervision. Most of the time we don't need any, however, there are always some who will take the pi55 out of the system.

I would love to go back to the old days of a disciplined service, but it isn't going to happen. Not unless, Chief Constables start to promote a lot more of the right sort of people!

4 comments:

blueknight said...

Sometimes are the wrong people being recruited?
Has the soft regime in the Police training schools (and now universities)added to the problem?
If the wrong people are sometimes recruited, will there be enough Officers of suitable calibre to join Public Order and Firearms Teams?
(I know the answer to the last one)

Anonymous said...

As a sergeant with 11 yrs experience, 6 as sergeant on a response team in a busy urban area in the north east I could literally spend evry shift in the office checking stuff and administrating and still be busy. I hate this as i should be out and about making sure my cops do a good job. Realistically the time i can take to actually do this is minimal.

I genuinely want my cops to go out and do the best they can, dealing with thinks in a fair proportionate and common sense manner. I alas am not allowed to do this, I spend most of my time justifying trivial things to bean counters in offices just to satisfy pointless performance indicators that have no real bearing on the public. I am not trusted to do my job, i am checked upon all the time by PC's who havent been on the street for years and who show neither me or my cops no respect for the job we do.

My inspector is fine but when i try and deal with internal issues myself i get bked by office based inspectors because its their remit and i should have told them.

There is generally a culture of fear, we are constantly told by Chief inspectors or above that "if you do this you will be in bother" "if you dont do this you will be in bother" nobody ever praises you for the hard work. For example in the last month i have dealt with 3 suspiscious deaths, managed a job where a mental patient was tasered in a hospital ward and was responsible for negotiation with him, I have dealt with various difficult staffing issues, i have volunteered to cover for absent custody officers, I have done my inspectors job for 2 weeks when she was on leave. Has anyone said "well done" or thanked me???? Not a chance!!!

But one of my cops missed a sentance out of a statement (when i wasnt there to supervise cos i was covering custody) and i have a superintendent down shouting the odds at me!!!

To sum up I feel as a sergeant I am not trusted nor respected by anyone other than my own cops!

TotallyUn-Pc said...

As a 19 year officer, 7 as PS... I can only concur with your good/bad analogy.
Not blowing my own trumpet, but if your out and about working WITH the PC's, it very easy to deal with issues, leading by example is the key.
A good PS and INSP WILL find time to complete the papers, a good PS will be there when the work is being done. I have managed, working in some of the busiest areas and forums, to complete my own work in good time, and also be available for the Team jobs.

It really gets my back up when I hear people say I couldn't do this and a can't get out of that.... My only expierience of this was in custady... (a very busy one East of the city) and still ran duties, and supervised crime reporting. It is NEVER so busy that at some stage this can not be done and I defy anyone to prove otherwise.
Its a mind set....

I patrol everyday now... alright I'm not on a response team.... I'm in firearms... but it still has its element of paperwork which I complete in timely fashions.

Sometimes its excuses for short comings that we hear.... with effort, its a great rank. probably the best!

Anonymous said...

I loved being a Sgt. It was the best time of my career so far. Nobody messed me about because I was one of the few substantives on the Division prepared to do response. Loved it.